Spray Painted Plastic Galaxy Eggs



Over the last couple of weeks I have been digging into my stash of plastic Easter eggs to jazz them up. I used washi tape and decoupaged Easter napkins to decorate the eggs, but this week, I decided to break out the spray paint. And, arguably, I think this project turned out the best of all of my plastic Easter egg projects this year.


I grabbed a cardboard box and split the eggs open so they would lay flat and not roll around in the box. I started out with a teal spray paint (Rustoleum's Lagoon).  I made a few quick swipes across the eggs and then let it dry for a few minutes.


Next I grabbed a purple spray paint (Krylon Plum) and followed up with a Blue (Krylon True Blue). I knew I didn't want complete coverage of any one of the colors, so I painted in stripes and zig zags across the eggs trying to cover the plastic underneath, but not the other colors of paint.


I finished it off with some silver spray paint (Rustoleum Metallic Silver) that I tried to spray on in speckles as best as I could. I held the can a little higher and moved it rapidly over the eggs. After the silver spray paint, I was feeling pretty good about the project. They were looking really pretty. I let them dry for a couple hours so that I could put the eggs back together.


After I put the eggs back together, I realized that the coverage looked pretty good from the tops of the eggs, but the sides were still really bare. I didn't know how to spray the sides without them rolling around in the box.


I grabbed an empty egg carton and set the eggs in the carton on their sides. I used the lid too since I needed to lay the eggs on their sides and I couldn't use every egg slot. The two eggs in the middle on the lid did roll a bit, but the others stayed put, and it was much better than free floating in the box.


I repeated the process on both sides of the eggs with the teal, purple, blue, and silver paint. If I do this project again, I'll probably try for a darker blue since the blue and teal paint sort of blended together a bit.


But the end result is so sparkly and pretty. It's hard to capture in a photograph. And...aside from figuring out how to keep the eggs from rolling, this project was super simple and fast (only slowed down by dry times).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plastic Wrap Alcohol Ink on Small Ceramic Bowl

Splatter Resist Alcohol Ink Tile

Alcohol Ink Washer Necklaces