Recycled Peanut Container turned Condiment Canister


Just a quick recycle craft tutorial this week. You know you might have a problem when you need to make a special container for your hot sauce packets. That being said, I needed a special place for my hot sauce packets. :)


So I salvaged a peanut container from the recycling and made a label by finding a photo of some peppers and then searching for a transparent logo to drop over the top. I put it all together in word and added my own glowing text. Then I printed off the whole page onto regular printer paper (24lb white).


Then I cleaned the label off of the peanut container. It was a stubborn one. It required a trip through the dishwasher, scraping, goo gone, more scraping, more goo gone...you get the idea. But once it was clean I measured the area that the old label covered and cut my new label to size with a paper cutter. This particular container called for a 3 1/2 inch tall by 8 inch wide label.

Then I used a foam paintbrush to apply a thin layer of mod podge and applied my label.


I painted the glue onto the container and carefully wrapped the label around the front and sides of the container. Then I let it dry for a few minutes so the paper wouldn't be damp and likely to tear.


After it had had a little bit of time (say 10 minutes or so) to set, I then put a thin layer of mod podge over the whole label to seal it. Be careful not to brush aggressively on ink jet printed images--they can smear. I put a layer on with a light touch and then just smoothed out any areas that looked goopy. If you think it's not sealed enough, it's better to put on a thin layer and let it dry then to add more glue when it's wet. It would be much more likely to smear or tear.


I waited about 30 minutes before filling it with hot sauce and popping it in the fridge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plastic Wrap Alcohol Ink on Small Ceramic Bowl

Splatter Resist Alcohol Ink Tile

Alcohol Ink Washer Necklaces