Alcohol Ink Picture Frame


Alright, so I know I've been making a lot of Alcohol Ink projects, but they are just so darn much fun (and they are usually pretty quick).  After I spray painted some picture frames to give them new life a couple of weeks ago, I thought--hey I bet I could alcohol ink over silver spray paint....and yep, I was right, you totally can.  I grabbed a flat photo frame from my stash to give new life to.  This one is from the 90s.  It has flowers painted all over it and is a lovely shade of neon yellow-green.  Needless to say, it didn't really go with anything in my decor.


So I grabbed the same box and spray paint from the last silver spray paint project and got to work.  I taped up the glass on this one instead of taking it off the frame as it's a shadow box frame.  The glass is held in place with wooden strips inside the frame.  I didn't feel like ripping the whole thing apart, so I taped the glass.


The finish on this frame is odd.  It's painted a bright color, and then hand painted flowers over the top of that, and then some sort of lacquer or sealer on top of the flowers, so when I spray painted it, the finish did some weird things.  I needed a few coats just to cover the flowers (as you can see above), and then as I applied more paint, the finish started pock marking.  Then when you add more spray paint you get drips and ripples, but I got it as smooth as I could and let it dry for a few days for good measure. 


Next, I laid the frame down on my craft mat (I peeled off the tape to make sure that it would come off without peeling the paint off the edges and that a bunch didn't bleed through on the glass, I just taped it back up again when I was ready to ink it up) and got my alcohol inks out.


Above is a photo of what my applicator looked like as I started inking.  I knew the inside of the frame was still lime green, so I wanted to use a some green in the alcohol inks so that it would coordinate.  I stamped around the whole frame with my first collection of colors.


I added more ink to the applicator and one different color to get some more dimension, and stamped around it again.  I wanted a fairly stippled look, so I kept on tapping my felt applicator over the colors without adding any additional ink until I got the look I was going for.  I let it dry for a bit and went about finding a photo.


The task of finding a photo was harder than I thought.  The frame is so busy that I think I'll need to switch to a black and white photo or put a white mat in the frame to break up the color, but I love the way the frame came out and even though the paint finish wasn't perfect, the ink hides most of the flaws.  I definitely proved the concept and can't wait to decorate another photo frame.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plastic Wrap Alcohol Ink on Small Ceramic Bowl

Splatter Resist Alcohol Ink Tile

Alcohol Ink Washer Necklaces