Two Frosted Glass Spray Paint Projects


We had quintuple credit card rewards at Home Depot this month...so when we were in the spray paint aisle, I knew I wanted to try out some frosted glass spray paint to see if it's any easier to use than glass etch for decorative projects.


I started out with a glass cylinder vase that I had picked up at the thrift store for 99 cents.  I had originally tried to use my circle punch on some painter's tape, but even when I stuck the tape to wax paper, it didn't get a clean punch, then I remembered I had these circle stickers for color coding some school stuff.  They don't always peel off of surfaces very easily--but I thought it was worth a try.  I spaced them evenly but randomly on the glass.  When I was done sticking them on the glass, I went back and pressed each sticker down to make sure it was stuck to the glass well.


I figured that since I was already spray painting the vase, I might as well spray another project at the same time.  Stripes on a small mason jar seemed like the perfect project.  I had been looking to turn this one into a matchstick container anyway.  So I eyeballed some stripes using blue painter's tape.  I wish I had some narrower tape to make more stripes, but I worked with what I had.


Before I sprayed the glass I cut out a circle of sandpaper to use as a striker in between the seal and the ring of the lid. (Use a dull pair of scissors, I hear cutting sandpaper can help to sharpen them a bit.)


Then I took both pieces of glass outside in a cardboard box to catch any overspray. It was a very warm and humid day, so I ended up having to wipe down the glass after I brought it outside.  It was covered in condensation just from the cool inside-the-house air.  


I sprayed a light coat all around the jar and vase and let it dry outside for about 15 minutes before bringing it inside to set (since it was so humid out).  Then after about an hour, I checked the coverage.  I needed a second coat.  This time I flipped the jar and the vase over and stuffed them full of plastic bags so I wouldn't get spray inside the jar and the vase.  After the second coat set, they were good to go.


I filled my little mason jar with wooden matchsticks and screwed the sandpaper lid on top.  This would make a great water resistant holder for a camper or just to keep in your kitchen cabinets. (Note: You will need "strike anywhere" matches.  The ones in this jar are strike on box matches that are being used as place holders until I get to the store for the right ones. :))


After I peeled all the stickers off of my vase, it turned out pretty cute.  The stickers worked pretty well, though I did scratch the paint a bit on the edges of some of the more stubborn stickers, but they peeled off better than I expected. 

The spray paint is a little easier to work with than glass etch cream (no need for gloves, etc...) and if your tape or stickers or contact paper bleeds through a bit, and you can scratch off excess spray paint pretty easily.  I'm not sure how durable this frosted spray paint will turn out to be.  I thought about spraying it with a clear sealer, but I was afraid it would turn the frosted spray paint translucent.  I'll report back if I have problems with scratching or if I try sealing them.

Update: One year later and this spray paint has held up surprisingly well.  No need to seal unless it's going to be handled a lot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plastic Wrap Alcohol Ink on Small Ceramic Bowl

Splatter Resist Alcohol Ink Tile

Alcohol Ink Washer Necklaces