Ribbon Bookmarks


I bought this awesome swirly grosgrain ribbon from Michael's in the Dollar Bins last year.  I thought it was cool, but I had no idea what I'd use it for.  Bookmarks are perfect. I've been on a reading binge lately (all fluffy YA novels--delightful summer reading), so I knew I'd put them to good use.

I started out by measuring the lengths on a trade paperback and a mass market paperback to get a couple of different sizes.  I wrapped them around each sized book and just snipped them when the ends met.  The next time I make these bookmarks, I'll probably cut them just a bit shorter to allow for the stretch of the hair tie.


I folded over the raw end that was going to get a button later and double stitched it.  Then I moved on to the side with the hair tie.  I folded over about an inch of ribbon and pinned the hair tie in place.  Then I sewed with the presser foot right along the pin.  Then I pulled the pin out and sewed again with the presser foot up tight against the hair tie.

When it was done sewing, I trimmed the edges of the ribbon and used a lighter to melt them so they wouldn't fray.  If you wanted to sew a little less, you could even just carefully melt the end that gets the button and call it good.


I picked out two large buttons from my stash.  Since I wanted to recycle the buttons, I had either brown or black to choose from--so I went with black.  I sewed the buttons on by hand and I was all done. Super quick and easy.  Time to go read!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plastic Wrap Alcohol Ink on Small Ceramic Bowl

Splatter Resist Alcohol Ink Tile

Alcohol Ink Washer Necklaces